Wales, known for its rugged landscapes, rich history, and warm hospitality, has emerged as a true global gem in the world of travel. In 2023, Wales has had the honour of receiving numerous prestigious travel accolades, cementing its place on the global travel map and establishing the country as a must visit sustainable destination.
Wales received a position in Lonely Planet’s ‘Best in Travel 2024’ awards for ‘Best Sustainable Destination’ for the Wales by Trails concept. Lonely Planet praised our “legislation for sustainability - the revamped railways expand the possibilities of exploring the nation’s wild, wonderful west. New train stations and increased services are planned for South Wales’s main rail line in early 2025. Whilst out-of-the-way Pembrokeshire National Park is accessible by car and set to become more so.”
In addition, Cardiff was named as the Best UK City and Most Friendly UK City. These accolades were presented by Conde Nast Traveller in their highly-regarded 2023 Readers' Choice Awards.
Wales, was also recognised by Conde Nast Traveler as a destination that simply cannot be overlooked. The country has been featured on their coveted list of "Places to Go in 2023," and it has also made the list of "13 Exciting UK Destinations for 2023." These accolades highlight the uniqueness of Wales, drawing global attention to our breathtaking landscapes, historic sites, and vibrant cultural experiences.
Cardiff, the capital of Wales, has achieved a distinction of being recognised as the "Best UK City" but it has also been declared the "Most Friendly UK City" by the discerning readers of Conde Nast Traveller. This double honour is a testament to the city's remarkable blend of modernity and tradition, along with the warmth and friendliness of its residents.
These accolades are a testament to the tireless efforts of Wales to offer exceptional experiences to visitors from all corners of the globe. Whether it's exploring the awe-inspiring landscapes of the Eryri (Snowdonia) National Park, delving into the nation's ancient history at the historic castles, or savouring culinary delights in its’ charming towns and villages.
Award-winning Wales 2023
- A position in Lonely Planet’s ‘Best in Travel 2024’ awards for ‘Best Sustainable Destination’ for the Wales by Trails concept
- The World Media Group has announced Cymru Wales as the Grand Prix winner of the 2023 World Media Awards and ‘Wales To The World’ campaign also won the Travel & Tourism category. It capitalised on the opportunity to showcase the nation to an international audience when Wales qualified for the FIFA World Cup finals for the first time in 64 years. Other brands included Adidas, Birkenstock, Visa and Volkswagen.
- Cardiff - Best UK City and Most Friendly UK city in 2023 at the Readers’ Choice Awards (CN Traveller).
- Pontcysyllte Aqueduct – the world’s most beautiful UNESCO site in the UK (TimeOut London – according to tour operator Explore Worldwide). There are six other sites with UNESCO World Heritage Status in Wales to discover.
- Angela Shanley Associates (Cambria@ASA) – tour operator of the year (UKinbound). In June 2022 Angela Shanley Associates welcomed Wales specialists Cambria DMC into the ASA group offering a complete DMC service dedicated to Wales for FIT, Group & Business Events travel.
- The Royal Mint – best museum or gallery and runner up best guided tour (Group Leisure & Travel Awards 2023). Tourist attraction of the year (Welsh Hospitality Awards 2023).
- Hensol Castle Distillery - TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Award 2023 for the second year.
- Pembrokeshire - one of the 20 highest scores in Leading Places Tourism Sentiment Index, ranking it among the top 100 most loved destinations in the world. The list is based on review sites and millions of online conversations.
- Solva – included in 20 most beautiful villages in the UK and Ireland (CN Traveller).
- Wales – featured in global list of places to go in 2023 and on list of 13 exciting UK destinations for 2023 (Conde Nast).
- Cardigan – top three Best UK Places to Visit in 2023 – (TimeOut).
- Pembrokeshire – included in best destinations to visit in 2023 (Rough Guides).
- Penally Abbey Hotel, Tenby – AA Hotel of the Year (Wales)
- The Jackdaw, Conwy – AA Restaurant of the Year (Wales)
- Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms – AA Restaurant with Rooms of the Year (Wales); National (UK) Restaurant of the Year (National Restaurant Awards, second year running)
- The Harbourmaster Hotel – named Best in Wales (Good Hotel Guide)