The Victorian Spa Heritage experience offers a glimpse into the rich Victorian history of Llandrindod Wells and combined with activities in the beauty of Mid Wales will provide an unforgettable short break holiday for all ages.
Enjoy the splendour of the Hall at Abbey-Cwm-Hir, the comfort of Highland Moors Guest House and exquisite dining at Jules restaurant and much more.
Llandrindod owes its fame entirely to the mineral springs which came to public notice as far back as 1670, and in 1755 Dr. Linden, a well-known scientist wrote ’I have not met with any kind that can surpass these waters’.
Highland Moors is now the last remaining Hydro Spa Hotel in Wales purpose built on 6 acres with six springs by Thomas Heighway around 1900 who has previously founded many springs in the Rock Park. Highland Moors has been a hotel, a military hospital, a sanitorium school, a convent, a foster home and now a guest house. There are 13 spacious rooms, including huge family rooms and elegant bay rooms with luxury walk-in shower ensuites. All rooms have TVs, hospitality trays, and comfy chairs. The guest lounge offers evening comfort with sofas, real log fire, pool table books and games. There is secure off-road parking and lockup. Families and children needs are catered for and are very welcome. Wifi and broadband is available free.
The package includes a visit to the fascinating National Cycle Museum, once the Automobile Palace and the lovely Radnorshire Museum located in the centre of Llandrindod Wells. You can visit the Rock Park originally the Rock House Estate where up to 30 springs were found, the lake, the railway line which opened in 1865, the Grand Pavilion and the famous Thomas Shop, Penybont first built in 1730’s. Also included is a trip to the unique Red Kite centre – Gigrin Farm which attracts hundreds of kites each afternoon. Why not visit the stunning Elan Valley while you are there. Visit our website for a suggested itinerary or a list of many other exciting activities you could consider.
Within a setting of breathtaking beauty, history and romance, the Hall and its 12 acres overlook St.Mary’s Church and the ruins of the 12th century Cisterian “Abbey of the Long Valley” containing the monk’s and the grave of Llewellyn the Last. The Hall at Abbey-Cwm-Hir is Grade II listed as one of Wales finest examples of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture. Built in 1834 by Thomas Wilson the great Victorian improver it was bought by Paul &Victoria Humperston who have spent 10 years restoring it to a building of Gothic Victorian splendor. Their achievements have been widely acclaimed throughout Wales. Tours of all 52 rooms of the house and access to all 12 acres of landscaped gardens are available daily throughout the year and focus on history and architecture, interior design, collections and gardens and grounds.
The special Introductory price of £90.00 per person includes:(valid until March 2012)
• One night accommodation at Highland Moors Guest House in a luxury bay double or twin room (based on 2 people sharing)
• 3 course dinner at the stylish Jules restaurant and wine bar
• Tour of the hall at Abbey-Cwm-Hir and 12 acre gardens
• Entry into the Radnorshire Museum, Llandrindod Wells
• Entry into National Cycle Collection, Llandrindod Wells
• Visit to the red kite feeding centre, Gigrin Farm, Rhayader
• Talk on Victorian Spa Heritage including tea/coffee and home made cake or Victorian cream tea
• Copy of book ‘Greetings from Llandrindod Wells’, Vol 3 written by Joel Williams (1 copy per booking)
The Best of the Rest
Other options you might like to include in your short break or in an extended stay:
• Tour of Llandrindod Wells by experienced tour guide
• Self-guided walks available from Highland Moors
• Gilfach Farm Longhouse and Nature Reserve, Nr. Rhayader
• Visit to Elan Valley reservoirs, Rhayader
• National Showcaves Centre, Abercrave
• Welsh Royal Crystal, Rhayader
• Marston Pottery Showroom, Rhayader
• Llyn Clywedog lake, Nr. Llanidloes
• Devils Bridge gorge via the mountain pass, Aberystwyth
• Llywernog Silver - Lead Mines, Ponterwyd
• The Spaceguard Centre, Knighton
• Erwood Station, Craft centre, gallery & tea rooms, Llandeilo Graban
• Brecon Park day Boats, Brecon
• Rhayader Museum & Gallery & the Great Mid Wales Treasure Hunt until Sept 4th 2011
• Vale of Rheidol Railway
Own transport required. Single supplement applies. Special children’s tariffs. Extra nights available at 15% discount. Please request at time of booking. Refunds and cancellations liable to 50% surcharge if cancelled within 1 week. See website for any special offers. Not in conjunction with any other offer.
For more information on the Victorian Spa Heritage breaks and for special tailored packages please contact:
Jeff & Sue Green
T: +44 (0)1597 825151