THE Crown at Whitebrook restaurant, near Monmouth, has retained its coveted Michelin star for the fifth year in succession.
The Crown at Whitebrook Executive Head Chef James Sommerin said: “We’re elated, ecstatic, over the moon at retaining our Michelin star for the fifth year in a row after gaining one first in 2007.
“The Michelin star is a tribute to the tremendously hard work put in by all the extremely talented and dedicated staff at the Crown at Whitebrook.
“It’s good to see that the three other Michelin star restaurants in Wales also retained their single stars which is great news for Monmouthshire as a county, where we have two one star restaurants, and the country of Wales as a whole.
“However it’s a little bit disappointing that there were not more restaurants in Wales awarded stars this year.”
James, from Newport, who has stated his ambition to improve on his single Michelin star, said: “We, at The Crown at Whitebrook, are not resting on out laurels but will be constantly striving to improve in all areas continuing to create great food in a truly wonderful environment and aiming to keep the restaurant full. If this helps brings more recognition from Michelin then that would be very welcome.”
And he said: “The fact that Monmouthshire now has two restaurants with Michelin stars is testament in part to the extraordinary quality and availability of locally sourced produce and also the skill used to transform these exceptional ingredients into what we serve up on our plates.”
The Crown at Whitebrook Awards / Reviews
Over the last couple of years, The Crown at Whitebrook, near Monmouth, has scooped an impressive number of awards and accolades. These include the following:
1. 1 Michelin Star 2007
2. 1 Michelin Star 2008
3. 1 Michelin Star 2009
4. 1 Michelin Star 2010
5. 1 Michelin Star 2011
6. Wales The True Taste Best Restaurant in Wales 2009/10
7. Top 50 The Good Food Guide 2010 (36) – 7/10
8. Top 40 The Good Food Guide 2009 – 6/10
9. Condé Nast Johansens/Champagne Taittinger Wine List of the Year Award 2010
10. AA Centenary Awards 2008 AA Wine Award, Wales
11. Top 40 in Eat Out Magazine’s Top 100 Best of the Best UK Restaurants
12. AA 5 Star Restaurant with Rooms 2007/2008
13. AA Premier Collection “Restaurant with Rooms” 2007/2008
14. Visit Wales 5 Stars as Restaurant with Rooms 2007/2008
15. Top Restaurant in Wales 2007 – The Observer
16. Top 10 fine dining rooms in Britain 2007 – The Times
17. Top 7 Restaurant with rooms in UK 2007 – The Sunday Times
18. Les Routiers Restaurant of the Year for UK 2007
19. Condé Nast Johansens top 3 wine lists in Great Britain 2007
20. AA Commended Wine List 2008