Cardiff’s historic heart, the Castle Quarter, is the fascinating setting for a brand new guided walking tour giving visitors and locals alike the chance to discover the Welsh Capital’s intriguing (and often bloody) story….2000 years of it in under 2 hours!
The Cardiff Walking Tour is the work of some of Wales’ most experienced and qualified official Blue Badge Guides who have combined to produce the definitive walking tour of the city. It runs twice a day, seven days a week at 11am and 2pm from its base at Castle Welsh Crafts, opposite the castle and costs just £5 per person. Along the scenic route through the arcades, streets and parkland of the Castle Quarter visitors uncover history where it happened, including;
• The building of the Roman fortress and their battles with the Celts.
• The brutal power struggles between Norman invaders and Welsh princes.
• Cardiff’s years as Britain’s most notorious pirate and smuggling haven.
• Its transformation from sleepy fishing town to the great commercial port fuelling the world.
• How Britain’s richest man lived just yards from its worst slums.
• Cardiff’s rebirth from economic disaster to become the modern, vibrant capital of Wales.
Aimed at visitors and locals alike, The Cardiff Walking Tour tells ‘the whole story, not just the coal story.” Cardiff is a young capital but it’s an ancient settlement and the Castle Quarter has been at its heart all the way through. As well as being the most attractive and distinctive part of the city, it’s the perfect setting to tell Cardiff’s story.
Tours can be booked in person or by phone at Cardiff Tourist Information, The Hayes on +44(0)29 2087 3573 or at Castle Welsh Crafts on +44(0)29 2034 3038